Observations of events I attend around the Oklahoma / Texas (Roar Region 9) and beyond.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

8th Annual BigFoot Off Road Xtravaganza

I had a moment, so I decided to reach back into my memory and post a recap of my weekend at the 8th Annual Big Foot Off Road Xtravaganza. The 2009 installment of this race we had 149 entries. This year, in 2010, the entry count soared to 214. The race once again was taking place at Enid RC Raceway in Enid, Oklahoma.

The weekend started with a Friday practice. About all I can remember about it was no one saved us pit spots, due to the large entry amount. This worked in our favor, as we pitted at the very back of the track away from everyone. We could joke and play music back there without bothering anyone. I did have an unusual practice, in that I didn't just totally saw off all my cars. Qualifying started the next morning at 10am. Qualifying consisted of 4 rounds of qual points. I ran stock truck and mod 4wd. I normally run more classes but I was trying to not over do it and have a good time.

I will start with truck qualifying. In truck I broke q1. I do not recall what I broke, but I bet it was a rear hub. Sometimes the ball stud can pull out of the rear hubs real easily. Q2, I knew I was already behind the 8 ball and needed a solid finish. Well, I did not get that. I set my truck down for Q2 and the truck would not move. I discovered that the motor had locked up due to the rotor shattering in my 13.5.  After the resort I was in the D qualifier and knew it was time to get it done if I was going to move up to a higher main. I went out an won my last two qualifiers to qualify 9th in the B.

In 4wd it is a bit of a shorter story. In 4wd I put down an ok run in Q1 and then broke a front arm in Q2. I got a case of the stupids and tried to quad a section when I should have just double doubled it. I do not recall what happened in Q3. By the time Q4 came around it was nearly 3am. I completely blew out. I qualified about 5th I think in the C.

The mains were the next day, and morning came way too early. In truck I finished 6th, but do not recall much else. The 4wd C main was my last race of the weekend. I battled for the lead and had the lead until I tanked it on the tabletop and 6 more cars piled in. In usual fashion, I was the last car picked up. I worked back to 3rd and tanked it on the last lap to get 4th. The car was great in the main, and I was told it looked like it could have easily been in the A at that point.

It was one of the funnest Big Foots I have been to. I only broke 1 part on the 4wd. I ran HB  pink full fronts and pink beams. The tires wore great and got better as the weekend went on. I have been using the HB tires since October of last year and they have really impressed me. It was cool to be the fastest D4 there that weekend, but being in the C I guess that is not saying much. Since the Bigfoot, my driving has been a ton better. I feel like I have made a turn in how I approach races, and get a lot less worked up about things. I am also, much better at recovering from mistakes.

Next update will be about the Race Against Cancer that occurred last weekend in Dallas and talk of The Taylor Park RC Raceway in Yukon, Oklahoma.

No comments: