Observations of events I attend around the Oklahoma / Texas (Roar Region 9) and beyond.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

ARCORR Race 2 - Allison's Off Road

Race 2 has came and gone, and I am finally getting a post up about it.

Race 2 was another Sunday event, so I made the 5 hour trek over to Little Rock on Saturday, had a good meal at Bostons Pizza and chilled at my room. The trip over was a lot more eventful than that. Lets just say I took the scenic route. This was the first long trip with my truck c-notched and it made world of difference. It was a much smoother ride, even loaded down. And best of all, no more bottoming out on the frame at 70+ mph.

Sunday morning came early, and I made it over to the track. I setup my easy-up and pits. About the time I was ready to start practicing it began... calls from work. Of course a server had to act up while I was 5 hours away and had no internet. Messing with that took most of my practice, so I ended up with about 2 packs worth of track time.

Qualifying started, and I was once again running all 3 points classes. My 2wd was still being pissy, so it made for a long day. The track was slick, but not as bad as the previous trip. I had one run that would have put me in the A, but too many mistakes and going from 2nd to 6th waiting on corner marshalls that were too busy talking killed it. Oh well, I should not have wrecked I guess. In the last round the transmission then locked up. It was then alot clearer why the buggy has been horrible. All the loose dirt and lack of time to do proper maintence kicked my butt. I ended up in the B main, and after the tranny rebuild, the car was not bad. I take off and think I have a chance to bump up. I come on the front straight and I have no steering, further inspection revealed the servo horn came off. I got it back on before the end of the main, so I could at least feel out the car a bit more. After that I am now tied for 10th in 2wd buggy points.

In truck, the day was ok. I had some decent runs that I just could not close out. I think I qualified 6th or so. The main started and it was a rough one. I got out and lead a lap and then got drove through, by about 3-4 trucks and fell back to the back. I moved front and back through the field and ended up in 8th in the A. I thought I was farther ahead than that, but there was so much working going on, who knows. In all the mess I moved up to 3rd in truck points.

Now comes 4wd. The car was ok all day, but once again the driver was not getting it done. But just like race 1, I pulled out a 3rd place qualifying spot in the last round. The main started and I thought I had a good start. At this point I cannot remember if I just crashed on my own or had help, but I fell back in the pack. I worked my way up and passed for 4th at the line. I was able to hold on to my 2nd place in points.

The racing is pretty fun, but I sure wish the events were closer. I did get to wheel Jim's D8E after the races. That was cool and added some fuel to the fire. The setup cost right now is too rich for my blood, but I may try to get one setup next year. I will just have to decide what 10th car I am going to park to justify it. Race 3 was to be at Thunder Valley in Beebe, but it was rained out. The reschedule date has not been set, and it may be pushed back to the fall. The next series race is now going to be in August. It will be a nice break, and not a bad idea as the temps are in the upper 90's now and creeping into the 100 soon. Sadly, there are no videos for my mains this time. I think everyone was too busy working on their cars and trying to stay cool. I may post about some club racing during the hiatus from the series. That is all for now.

No comments: